These burgers are my new favorite! They are:
Spicy or not spicy…all up to you!
& Super healthy ❤
My secret ingredient for making these taste like a delicious green chili enchilada: Crushed up tortilla chips instead of the standard bread crumbs used in so many veggie burger recipes!! I’m telling you…game changer!!
If you ask me, these get taken to a whole new level with toppings! Though they are absolutely amazing all by themselves, I highly recommend adding some goodies on top Daiya vegan pepperjack cheese, and crunchy romaine lettuce on a whole wheat bun. You could also wrap them in a tortilla or lettuce leaves or even on top of a salad! Basically, the options are endless with these.
- 1/2 onion, finely diced (white, yellow, or sweet will work)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15oz) chickpeas
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4-3/4 tsp cayenne (more or less depending on desired spiciness)
- 1 4-ounce can mild green chilis
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 3/4 cup crushed yellow tortilla chips
- Salt & pepper, to taste (I personally don’t add any!)
- Oil of choice + more for cooking (I use olive oil or avocado oil)
- Toppings of choice (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. *if you don’t have parchment paper, it’s ok 🙂
- Once skillet is hot, add ~1 Tbsp oil, onion, red bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until soft and onion is translucent – about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked mixture into a mixing bowl. Then add drained chickpeas and use a fork or pastry cutter to mash/mix. A little texture is OK, but you don’t really want any whole chickpeas remaining.
- Add remaining ingredients, and stir/mash to combine. You want it to form into a moldable “dough.” Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Divide into patties. In the photo shown, I made 8 patties total but you could make less if you want them larger 🙂 Keep the patties relatively thick because they will hold together much better!!
- Heat the same skillet you used earlier to medium heat. Once hot, add enough oil to form a thin layer on the bottom of your skillet, then add only as many burgers as will fit comfortably. Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until lightly browned NOTE: Flip GENTLY.
- You could eat the burgers right now, but I recommend placing the burgers a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes to dry/crisp them up. The longer you bake them, the drier & firmer they’ll become.
- (optional) add cheese of choice during the last few minutes in the oven to melt.
- Let the burgers cool for 2-3 minutes before serving (they’ll firm up more as they cool).
- Serve however you’d like and with whatever toppings your beautiful heart desires ❤
Leftover burgers will keep in the fridge for up to a few days, though they will be the best when fresh 😉
TO FREEZE: Brown burgers in pan then allow to cool completely. *SKIP the oven baking if freezing* Separate burgers between layers of parchment paper, and seal in a freezer-safe bag or container. Freeze for up to 2-3 weeks. To cook: Bake burgers in a 375 degree oven on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 20-30 minutes, or until warmed through and golden brown.
Eat. Enjoy. Love.