I am so happy (and a little impressed) with these “cheatos”:-) They are suuuper low carb and totally satisfy my desire for a crunchy snack! They are great for dipping, too! Try softened vegetable flavor cream cheese, hummus(watch the carbs!), sour cream, cheese sauce, etc. AND they go amazingly along side chicken or tuna salad. Lastly, you can use them as a fun salad topper…almost like a crouton!
The macros for the WHOLE recipe are 31F/2netC/36P ❤
On to the recipe!
INGREDIENTS (makes 75-85 cheetos)
- 4 egg whites, beaten until very stiff
- 1/8 teaspoons cream of tarter
- 75g frozen cheddar cheese (I recommend sharp cheddar)
- 2 tablespoon almond flour
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- OPTIONAL: a pinch or 2 of cayenne pepper
- OPTIONAL: parmesan or cheese-flavored popcorn seasoning
**NOTE*** The cheese you use (pre-shredded, different types of cheddar, etc.) could change the carb count. It would be a small change, but just an FYI 🙂
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Pulse frozen cheese in food processor until in small little tiny pieces, place
back in freezer. *I recommend shredding the cheese before freezing; makes
this step far easier!*
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until very stiff
- Fold the cheese, almond flour, & spices gently to the egg whites. Try to let
as little of the air out of the egg whites as possible.
- Put the mixture into a plastic bag and cut a hole in the corner and squeeze
out Cheetos-sized shapes onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
You could also grease the cookie sheets with olive oil if you don’t have
- Bake for about 25 minutes, rotating the cookie sheets halfway through.
- OPTIONAL: Sprinkle them with parmesan cheese or dust them with cheese
flavored popcorn seasoning (I like these) while still hot/warm. *I did not do
this step for the batch you see in photos*
Ta-Da!!!! Now you have keto-friendly, guilt-free, delicious, satisfying cheatos!!
Eat. Enjoy. Love.