Do you all remember that crazy “Cabbage Soup Diet” that was all the rage 10-15+ years ago? I sure do! My dad tried it a few times and even after the fad was over one thing remained…THE SOUP!! I always absolutely loved the soup!! 😀
I know it might sound crazy, especially if you are familiar with how strange the diet was, but I swear up, down, and sideways that the soup is amazing! And it the ingredients are veggies, veggies, and more veggies. It is like eating a salad…but hot…or cold, actually, because I love it both ways!
It may not be the most beautiful dish you’ve ever laid eyes on but just trust me…You want this in your life.
Now, I’ve tweaked and played and experimented with this recipe over the years and love it for several reasons:
- As I’ve stated several times already, it is DELICIOUS 🙂
- Great way to get in a TON of veggies!
- You can change up the ingredients and experiment to your heart’s content and it is nearly impossible to make it taste bad! (if you like spicy food, I highly recommending tossing in some serrano peppers!)
- You can make the huge batch and freeze some for a later date
- You can add all sorts of things to the prepared soup; from hot sauce to cooked chicken to noodles to grilled tofu to…wait for it…MORE veggies!! Each bowl you enjoy can be different ❤
- Dunking warm garlic bread in it will change your life
- It is SO EASY TO MAKE!!!
So…let’s get into the recipe now!
Ingredients: (Makes a TON, like over a gallon of soup!)
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 small (or one large) onion (I prefer plain ol’ yellow onion)
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch of celery
- 2 green bell peppers
- 3-5 carrots
- 8-10 mushrooms – or as many or as little as you like! (I like crimini best)
- 2 cans tomatoes (I like the chopped up type; no salt added)
- 1-2 packets of Lipton Onion Soup mix (start with one and if you need/want more flavor/salt, add in more from the second packet)
- Salt & pepper
- 10 cups water
- (optional) V8 – as much or as little as you want. Just decrease the amount of water by however much you use
- Chop up everything into small pieces (as seen above) and throw everything in a big pot. **Just use one soup packet at this point**
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours or until everything is soft
- Taste the soup and season with more soup mix and/or salt and pepper, to taste.
There you have it. Super simple, super tasty, and I know you are just going to love it! If you try it and add any fun ingredients, I’d love to hear about your favorite way to enjoy this, so be sure to tell me ❤
Eat well. Live Well.